Sunday, September 20, 2009

Indian Society with women in Independent roles


Being a photographer, and the kinds that needs to travel a lot, be 'independent' and make your own decisions doesn't seem to go down well with a lot of people - especially if you belong to the female species AND are in your mid twenties.

I've been learning and struggling with that since I first picked up the camera a few years back.
I've learnt how to dodge, dive and escape questions relating to what I do...
hearing the 'how cool!' from the young and the 'oh!' from the neighbourhood aunties is something i've gotten quite used to. 

NO YOU WILL NOT GET IT, and no, I do NOT want to explain it to you, and photography is NOT my hobby.

When I travel alone, locals try to figure out who I am - It's like a guessing game. In Hindi, 'Is she Indian?'...'Maybe NRI' (Non resident Indian) right in front of my face, looking for a reaction to see if I understand. Fair enough.
I am very much Indian and proud to be one but the problem is that in India, women do not travel alone. It's almost like an 'un-auspicious' deal, something that is just not done. It questions your Indian-ness and your 'purity' (an indian will know what that means!).

Being questioned, talked about and assessed isn't always a pleasant feeling. I don't have to explain myself - I LOVE what I do.

For me, these things affect me less now then before and all I care about is my work and where I want to go with it (really).

Thanks to those who support what I do and who believe in me - I love you.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

ths a truth realized by almost all indian women who like to travel alone. people think there is something wrong with you or you have no friends or maybe you are bad with your family. but i feel its okay until you are with people like you and you learn to accept and ignore things as they are. the world is never going to change at ur pace, all this only makes u a more frustrated soul. so just keeping walking the road you want to and fuck the rest. cheers

Szymon said...

I believe in YOU! :) Greetings from La Paz!

Scarlet said...

I found myself in what you wrote, Mansi.

Scarlet said...

P.S: I'm Linh from the Angkor workshop ^^

purplepinking said...

I think travel is one section of the "oh my god,look at her" syndrome. In general,women who have an opinion and that too strong enough to hold on to and redefine how they want to flow will always face such resistance.

vaibhav said...

Very nice and great writing with great photo.